Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chalk & Versamark

I love using versamark and clear embossing powder to pump up the volume on my colors whether it be colored pencils, chalk, glimmer mist or distress inks. I saw a technique that I had never tried using versamark and chalk. This technique was used by a stamper on 2 Peas embee. Here is the link to her picture: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=1396451 .

She describes it as covering the background in chalks and then stamping an image on top with Versamark and heat embossing with clear embossing powder. I combined this technique with using masking as Jennifer McGuire has a video on masking and is hosting a challenge. http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=2682492
Here is my card:

I purposely left it very simple to highlight the trees and the colors. I also had to photograph it on a different background to show it was a white card base.

Recipe:

  1. Apply chalks in various colors to the background. I used eyeshadow applicators to rub on spots of color and my finger to blend them together. I used yellow, blue, and green in various shades.
  2. Stamp the tree on a post it note to make my mask. Cut it out.
  3. Stamp with versamark the tree multiple times using the mask to overlap the trees and give the effect of the forest. (I did have some blue left on the stamp from the mask I created. I think it came through on a few of the trees faintly which I think helped with the overall effect.)
  4. Heat emboss the trees with clear embossing powder.
  5. Using a white gel pen I added dots of white to give a snowfall in the background. It doesn't show up very well in this picture but added a nice touch IRL.
  6. Stamp the sentiment on a scrap piece of the chalked background. Mount with the twine and tag holder.
  7. Layer with teal cardstock and mount on white card.

Products:

  • Pebbles Pearlescent Chalks
  • Versafine Olympia Green
  • Signo White Uni-Ball Gel Pen
  • Tag Holder Unkown
  • Twine - EK Success Adornments
  • Penny Black - 3738B wondrous
  • Paper Inspirations - G10198 Art Brush Pine Tree
  • Versamark Watermark Ink
  • JoAnn's Clear Embossing Powder

Thanks for wandering over...

7 comments:

  1. OH this is just magnificent! A very tranquil winter scene.. I can just 'hear' the silence of the snow falling....

    Love it, girl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. Reminds me of a new falling snow in the woods at dusk. Great colors. Thanks for sharing the technique. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I really enjoy
    visiting your blog and the time you
    take to explain what you have
    created and give a supply list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super effective!! This is one of your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sue! This card is fabulous! I love the softness of it. I love seeing what you come up with ... and this one is a stunner! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really gorgeous Winter card. I really like how whispy the chalks make it look. I bet it really shimmers IRL too! Your words and frame for them is just wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!