Sunday, November 2, 2008

Faux Metal - Copper Owl, and Jade Tree

There was a faux metal class and challenge over at 2 Peas hosted/taught by Kristina Werner. http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=2677588



I made several faux metal pieces in several embossing powders. I only used 2 of them and made cards from them..
The first card was a thank you to my son's confirmation sponser. I used the Judikins Rustique Jade Patina. The embossing powder is a beautiful mix of green and blue. I can't wait to use this on another project. The only limitation on this was matching the blue/green colors with cardstock and ribbon.

The second card is going to be a birthday card for my brother in law. The recipe for the card overall is very simple I will share the recipe for the oval copper owl.

Recipe:
  1. Cut a piece of cardstock in the shape of an oval. (In the first example I punched the circle out afterwards. This worked okay with the punch. Some of my other samples I tried to use my cutter and the Embossing Powder was too thick and it cut with a ragged edge. )
  2. Stamp versamark completely over the stamp you are going to emboss in the hot embossing powder. This will prevent it from sticking. I didn't think you could use the clear stamps but it worked successfully.
  3. Stamp versamark completely over the cardstock and heat emboss using the embossing powder of choice. You need to repeat this 3 to 4 times for a thicker embossing powder and more times for a thinner embossing powder. The Judikins embossing powder took 4 times and I got a beautiful image. I used the Queen's Gold Embossing powder for another sample and 4 times wasn't deep enough all across the image.
  4. On the final pass of the heat embossing you need your image ready. You need to get the entire surface hot enough that the embossing powder is moving. Take your stamp and press down into the Embossing Powder firmly. Leave in the embossing powder for a minute until it cools. You can than remove it and see your image.
  5. Another lesson learned... If you don't like the image you can reheat it until it melts and start again. If you crack your image you can also heat and restart or heat a little to see if you can get it to smooth out.
  6. I had several large images I stamped and the embossed image will curl up on you. I reheated slowly and then flattened it and put it under a wooden block to get it flat.
  7. On the owl card I did emboss with the same embossing powder the sentiment and background.
  8. On both I accented the embossed images with gems and pearls.

Products:

Thank You Card

  • Thank You letters are stickers that I sponged with brown ink.
  • Hero Arts - Scroll Tree
  • Memento Rich Cocoa
  • Cuttlebug Embossing Folder - Textured Textile, Birds & Swirls
  • Hero Arts - DesignBlock Poinsettia and Birds
  • Spellbinders Nestabilities Circle Scallop
  • Judikins Rustique Jade Patina Embossing Powder
  • Versamark Watermark Ink
  • Crystal Stickers - Teal Pearls
  • Ribbon - Unknown (Michaels Christmas Ribbon)

Copper Owl

  • Judikins Copper Embossing Powder
  • Inkadinkado - Winter Birds
  • Versmark Watermark Ink Pad
  • Hero Arts - DesignBlock Poinsettia and Birds
  • Hero Arts - Clear Designs - Birthday Messages
  • Gems, Ribbon - Unknown
  • Ranger Ruler - For the piercing..

As always thanks for stopping by...

5 comments:

  1. Both cards are nice. I really like the green embossing on the first card. Something a little different than the traditional gold or silver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely Sue! How creative. I love this technique and never think to use it. You have really done it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sue! Wow! I love that Jade Patina embossing powder color! It is gorgeous! Love your faux metal embellies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely, great colors! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are terrific! I saw Kwerner's video, too, and this technique is on my to-do list. I really love what you did with the jade powder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!