Sunday, January 3, 2010

Denim anyone?

As I was doing laundry a few days ago, I notice a big rip in my son's jeans. I know rips and tears are in on jeans but this one was in an inappropriate place. :)

I was going to through them out as I am not a sewing kind of gal.... But then I thought... Hmm... I need a fun project for me and my stamping buddies... What if I stamp on the denim?

Here it is.... Our project from yesterday using denim as the stamping surface...


I was really pleased because the die cut actually cut through the denim with the exception of the ends which it almost cut through. I think it would have but my boards are very warped for my CB and I think it prevented it from completely cutting out the denim. I handcut the ends.

Couple of things I tried and didn't work...

  • Bleaching on this denim. (Too light of a surface to begin with and the stamps need to be less detailed.

  • Coloring on denim. The copics do color but the color is different due to the blue tint in the background. This would require more play time and a bleached surface.

  • Stamping on denim. Didn't give enough punch of color so I used embossing powder to make the color really pop.

Couple of things I tried and liked....

  • Glimmer mist on denim. I really liked the effect. It added a glisten to the fabric. I then stamped in versamark on top and embossed with a white embossing powder and it looked fantastic.

  • Ranger Puffy Embossing Powder - Fun effect added another layer of dimension. Need to play with colors to see which look the best. (Does not work for any really detailed images/sentiments)

  • Die-cuts and the denim. I die-cut even a small piece.

Products:

  • Versafine - Vintage Sepia
  • Zing - Chestnut Embossing Powder
  • Hero Arts - Silhouette Burst, Silhouette Spray
  • Impression Obsession - Lofty Dreams
  • Spellbinders - Nestabilities
  • Rangers - Stickles - Pink

Thanks for stopping by...

Suzz

26 comments:

  1. Love the sparkle and the pink with the denim. You are a genius!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea - wonderful recycling Suz - and a great result, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That denim piece looks brilliant Sue. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the tips... Brilliant idea and love your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat idea, and thank you for the do's and don'ts!!!! Will be trying this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Suzz!! I really like this idea and so appreciate your tips. Lovely card, love the touch of pink w/ the buttons. TY :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very inspiring Suzz... who would have thought to use the denim like this!!! Way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! Love the denim look.

    Aloha & Hugs,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a remarkable idea...and such a wonderful result...love those buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally brilliant Sue...love love love this and congrats on the twitter
    hugs,kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your efforts certainly paid off, what a beautiful look, and yes, I can totally see how difficult it is to work with this kind of material! I've yet to try, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking card! Thanks for the what works and doesn't too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great experimenting, Sue! I love how well it die cuts and the frayed
    edge looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a cool idea, Sue!! you don't stop amaze me with your stamping and gorgeous projects!!! LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All I can say is WOW! This is amazing!!

    Hugs,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great recycling project. I would have never thought to stamp on denim. And cutting it in a shape is really terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know I have been wondering whether you could stamp on denim or not! Suzz, this looks amazing, you are so clever! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hola Suz, espero que hayas tenido una buena salida y entrada de año. Veo que el nuevo año te ha traido nuevas genialidades, me encanta. Es el primer trabajo que veo despues de las fiestas y ahora empiezo a ver lo anterior. Encantas Tu siempre a todas. Bss

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... amazing result. Thanks for sharing how you did it and what did and didn't work... interesting list! will have to keep my eyes open for rips and tears now too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool is this, Sue!! Totally amazing, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Sue, gorgeous card and brilliant recycling of demin! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cool idea! Amazing result. I think I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!